top page about Kosyoji information for sightseeing hope to experience Japanese page  
             
ƒAƒCƒRƒ“

History

–{“°   Around 1229 A.D.…………………………………
After returning from China, Dogen Zenji lived a secluded life at Anyoin in Fukakusa. (This temple is considered to be the site of Gokurakuji, a temple associated with the Fujiwara clan)
1233.……………………………………
Dogen Zenji established Koshoji in Fukakusa. It was named gKannon Doriin, Koshohorinji.h This temple was the first one established in Japan for the education and cultivation of monks. Koshoji is called the gfirst Sotoshu monastery opened (in Japan)h.
1645.………………………………………
Naomasa Nagai, the lord of Yodo castle, restored Koshoji in Uji, inviting Bannan Eiju Zenji to be the revival founder.
Mountain Name: Buttokuzan
Founding Priest: Dogen Zenji
Revival Founding Priest: Bannan Eiju Zenji
Founder of Temple: Naomasa Nagai
 
 
     
 
ƒAƒCƒRƒ“

Main Statue

–{“°   Main Statue: Shakyamuni Buddha (1650)

Wooden made, parquet statue. Founder Naomasa Nagai received this statue from Jishoan. According the temple history, it was made by Dogen Zenji.
     
 
ƒAƒCƒRƒ“

Statues

“¹Œ³‘TŽt Seated Dogen Zenji (in Robaian)
Wooden made with crystal eyes. According to temple history, a disciple of Dogen Zenji, Senne, enshrined it at Yokoji. It was moved to Kenninji when Yokoji was abolished, and then moved to Koshoji at the 500th anniversary of Dogen Zenjifs death.
ŽO–ʑ单“V Three-faced Daikokuten (North of Monks Hall)
Three-faced Daikokuten combines three images of Daikokuten in front, Bishamonten on the right, and Benzaiten on the left.
‰iˆä®­ Naomasa Nagai (Tenjikuden, not open to the public)
For twenty years, Naomasa Nagai, lord of Yodo castle, contributed 200 koku of rice from new rice fields and 20 kan of silver in order to support the Koshoji as a place of Zen practice.
Emperor Gomizunoo heard of this matter and through the request of Tofukumonin Kazuko, the gHistory of Restoration of Koshojih was sent to him. From that time on, Koshoji received support from the government for the protection of the true Dharma in order that it could prosper.

•¶Žê•ìŽF Manjusri Bodhisattva (Inside of Monks Hall)
Wooden made, gold and silver paint In the Zen school, Manjusri Bodhisattva in the Monks Hall is called the gSacred Monk.h Usually, the lion on which the Sacred Monk sits faces left, but at Koshoji it faces right. This is in order not to show the backside toward the statue of Dogen Zenji, which is placed at its right.
 
     
 
ƒAƒCƒRƒ“

Buildings

–{“°  
–{“°“à•”   ‘m“°
Dharma Hall (Hatto, 1649)
Remnants of Fushimi Castle. Features of this buildings includes a hallway with nightingale flooring, a blood ceiling, and painting on cedar-board doors. Daily sutra chanting and ceremony, as well as memorial services for temple members are held here.

‘m“° Sodo (Monkfs Hall)
Fundamental building for monks, Zazen, eating meals, sleep etc.Tosu (toilet), Yokusu (bath) and Sodo (monkfs hall) are called gSanmoku dojoh, the places where monks are not permitted to speak.
  ˜V”~ˆÁ Kaisando (Foundersf Hall)
We have dedicated this room to the founder of this temple, Dogen Zenji and the former abbots. Dogen Zenji liked plum trees so this room is called Robaian (old plum house),


       
à˜O   à˜O   ’ÁŽçŽÐ   Î–å
Tenjiku do   Bell Tower   Chinjusha   Sekimon
 
   
 
ƒAƒCƒRƒ“

Annual Events

2nd Monday (or 1st Monday) on January
Revolving Reading of Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra
  Revolving Reading gGreat Perfection of Wisdom Sutrah a prayer for pray world peace and for the safety of the membersf households.
     
August 16th
Ceremony for Bon Festival
  Offering to the spirits that no longer have ani connection to any living person, to the myriad spirits, and as a prayer for the ancestors.
     
September 28th
Memorial Ceremony
  Memorial Ceremony for the Founding Abbot
     
  Page Top